Hawkes Bay Champs 2017/18
VENUE: Tukituki River
COMPETITION FORMAT: Standard river comp - 3 hour sessions with controllers (Angler controls Angler)
Important times and dates
Pre Christmas Peter suggested the HB Regional be run as angler controlled which I think a good idea so plan to run it that way. All that needs to happen is on posting anglers be advised and that they are required to entre as a pair so rather than put a controller down put the name of a fellow competitor, so it’s the anglers responsibility to find a fellow angler so as we have even numbers.
What I propose is at the end of comp each competitor would have fished 3 two hour sessions this will happen by.
- Pairs (fisher person and controller) selected at the draw, I have a system where pairs rotate through the event so are
with the same person all the way through, more interesting
- A pair are together for 4 hours, one angler fishes for two hours then they swop, other fishes two hours. They each fish
in a different beat but they are adjacent to each other
- There is a gap between each 2 hour session (half an hour) to give anglers a chance to swop
- First 4 hours starts at 7am (possibly 7:30) finish at 12 then hour for lunch, similar 4 hours in the afternoon though may
not finish until 6pm. There is one 4 hour on Sunday
- Beats as usual according to number of anglers
- Looking at a BBQ Saturday evening, angler pays they did it for $15 a head last year
I think that’s it not that simple but am sure it will work. Would be interesting a good learning opportunity to see others fish. Oh yeh river currently back to it’s old self we have had cooler temperatures here on the east coast and regular freshest, good numbers of 30 – 40cm fish and the dinkers are showing up though most currently around the 12 – 14 cm range.
Any rate hope that’s all good, I’m confident we can run a good fun event doing it that way.
19th January 2018: VENUE CLOSES TO FISHING upstream of Tapairu Rd Reserve to confluence with the Tukipo. Note that this may change; entrants will be advised.
22nd January 2018: Entries close
Saturday 4th February at 7.30am. Competitors and controllers briefing: Dave Hern's Fishing Tackle shop, Waipukurau
Session 1. 9am-12oon
Session 2. 2-5pm
BBQ to follow 2nd session,
Sunday 5th February
Session 3. 9am-12noon
1-1.30pm. Prize giving.
SPECIAL COMPETITION RULES: The following is the result of discussions with Fish & Game.
1. Competitors will be limited to use two flies. (to reduce the number of fish caught therefore exposed to potential harm).
Please fill out the form online. Any problems with this please call numbers below or email as below or competitions@sffnz
Organisers: Lloyd Struthers and Nick Lyon
Phone: Lloyd: (06) 8774771